April Makes 2020

 

Sapporo Coat

My first make in the April holidays was my Papercut Patterns Sapporo coat. I have written about it in my make nine posts which you can read here.

Cora Blouse

My second pattern test for Pattern Union was the Cora blouse. These were incredibly quick to sew up and the instructions are detailed as well as a timestamped YouTube video that you can follow with written instructions. The blouse has many versions and you can accomplish learning new techniques such as entrédeux a heritage stitch, where a broader needle is used and created embroidered eyelets in your fabric. I found out thanks to Lisa of @mabelthemannequin entrédeux (‘in between two’) is named thus as an embroidered fabric is used to join two pieces of fabrics together.

I have yet to make a version with entredeux, other examples of the blouse that can be made with this pattern are tasseled closure, front or back, elastic cuffed sleeves, sleeveless… finished with bias binding. I tried the elasticated cuff and sleeveless versions with rolled open back collar, it drapes beautifully and it is fastened with buttons at the back. The real green is the first one I sewed up, I graded the pattern from a size 8 to 12, the arm holes turned out big, so I unstitched, reduced the fabric and sewed up again, for my second one I also reduced the length and I like the finished version overall, I should have stuck tot he pattern advice and used 15cm for the cuff elastic, I made it narrower and find it a bit tight…so next one with tassels and entredeux 🙂

 

 

Simplicity K1069 Culottes

 

Another of my make nine attempts were the simplicity culottes, I adjusted for height, as the patterns are for height 5’7″ and I am 5’3″. I made the error of assuming the waistband facing was the external waistband so my rise has come out incredibly short and uncomfortable to wear. I will rescue these and sew another version as they should be. To make these into a wearable version I will need to remove the zip and add a waistband to increase the rise. Apart from my mistakes, this pattern was quick to cut up and sew and the instructions surpringly  for a standard pattern that normally lack detail were easy to follow.

Plissé trousers ‘Pallazo style’

My final make for April were the apricot floral Plisse trousers, I received this fabric as part of a mystery bundle. I have to say I found plissé very difficult to sew with, I used a microtex needle in the end as I kept missing stitches and I used a knit stitch on my machine. I had to often sew over a section due to skipped stitches. What I did do different was to shape my waistband and elastic into a trapeze shape after I saw someone share this on Instagram. The fit is great with this changed shape and comfortable on the waist too. Although difficult to sew for me in particular, they do look great, I wore them for a dinner recently and felt they were dressy enough! They also have generous ease due to the pleated nature of the fabric. The pattern I used for these was one I had in my stash from Sinclair Patterns the Lulu jumpsuit for knit fabrics.

 

1+

Comments

    1. Post
      Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *