January Makes 2020

January Makes 2020

 

Coco dress

I waited so long after downloading this Tilly And The Buttons Coco dress, thinking it would be difficult to sew and do the hems. From sticking the pattern, to cutting stitching and hemming the dress was a breeze to get sewn up. I have smaller than average shoulder back so after trying it on, I reduced the seams at the sleeve/shoulder joint by 1 cm and the fit turned out great snug and comfortable and forgiving at the waist line due to the A line shape 🙂 I can see myself making many more Coco dresses with sleeve variations this a year round goto pattern.

Fabric is from UK based Pound Fabrics Damask Jacquard Viscose mix.

 

 

Asymmetric lined skirt with invisible zipper

I designed the pattern from from a Jason Wu dress inspiration. I was able to make this gorgeous skirt with 1 meter of fabric (160cm wide). I had one front piece and two back (A – line) pieces that I could place on the fabric away from the embroidery. The front piece is half A line and half curved out to create the drape.

This was the first project I used a rolled hem foot for using a Bernina tutorial I found for the lining. For the skirt hem, I overlocked the edge,  and presses 1.5 cm with hem tape and finally hand sewed the hem with a reverse blind stich. I love the drape of this skirt and how the embroidery motif is diagonally arranged, paisley prints/motifs are also a favourite of mine!

For adding the lining and zipper I followed a tutorial by itch to stich. the tutorial has clear photographs and a short video in part 2 as well. For the waistband I found this bluprint tutorial easy to follow.

 

Quilted skirt with exposed elastic waistband

I had this black and gold paisley quilted satin fabric that I absolutely adore from pound fabrics, I had planned many makes with this including a waistcoat (pending- a Burda pattern has been purchased for it),and a coat (see April 2020 makes). 

My first sew with this fabric turned out to be a knee length skirt. I used this pattern review for inspiration and this tutorial to draft my skirt. I also added some front darts myself to give a better fit. I used a black stretch cotton knit to bind the raw bottom edges as he.ming would add too much bulk with a quilted fabric. I made the binding by cutting 1.5 inch strips across the stretch grain myself. The knit binding was easy to sew with as I could stretch and sew easily getting a wrinkle free smooth fit.

1+

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *